As epic as the first book is, but a lot more sinister and heartbreaking. I was trying not to finish it too soon, and yet I couldn’t keep myself from turning page after page after page of the second half of the Six of Crows duology.
When I finished the book and put it down, I knew I would not read anything of the same substance again, unless author Leigh Bardugo decides to add another continuation to the Dregs’ story. I really hope she would!
It’s been ages since a book had me gripping its pages and wanting more of it. Quite frankly, I’ve always loved books but was never a fan of the YA genre – until Six of Crows.
Set in a beautifully imagined old-and-mysterious-meets-Victorian-industrial world, Six of Crows is a story of a group of daredevils on an impossible heist. Each character is so masterfully crafted it is easy fall in love with each one. Leigh Bardugo has done such a fantastic job at putting the readers inside their heads, detailing their stories, their deepest thoughts, their darkest secrets – all while keeping the reader thrilled with every twist and turn of the story in fast-paced narrative.
Here’s a sneak peak into who they are:
- KAZ BREKKER (a.k.a. “Dirtyhands”) – Basically, this guy is a dangerous gang lord with the mind of a genius. Master craftsman of the heist game plan.
- INEJ GHAFA (a.k.a. “The Wraith”) – A stealthy badass, dagger-wielding chic who is like the eyes and ears of the group.
- NINA ZENIK – The beautiful seductress who is also a gifted Grisha (it’s detailed in the intro).
- MATTHIAS HELVAR – The strong and silent ex-convict who is basically the muscle of the group.
- WYLAN VAN ECK – The privileged boy who has a crazy talent for making explosives.
- JESPER FAHEY – The reckless gunner who can practically shoot and never miss.
But what I love best about the story is that every element of it and the book in its entirety is quite something that I have never encountered before. It’s quite hard for me to say it belongs to any genre at all, because I think it belongs to one of its own.
This is a book that I would recommend to every book-lover out there.
Leigh Bardugo has set my standards so high, I doubt I will find another book quite like this one. I can’t wait to get my hands on the next installment!